Monday, April 1, 2013

The Great Fall Too

  This past Easter Sunday, most basketball fans were focused on either Florida beginning blown out by Michigan as the Wolverines advanced to the Final Four, Louisville equally embarrassing Duke as the Cardinals moved on to the Final Four, two-thirds of the Heat's big 3 sitting out in a possible NBA Finals preview, or Kevin Ware's graphic leg injury. On another side of the sports world however, one passionate player that surely made an impact on college basketball watched a chapter in her career come to an end last night.
  You may recall meeting, or being reacquainted with, Brittney Griner as she was one of my Featured Players of the Week. The Baylor senior's college career ended last night as Lousville's Women's Basketball team upset Baylor with an 82-81 victory to advance to the Elite 8. 89% of brackets for the Women's Tournament had Baylor finishing in the Final Four and were the strong favorite to win the title for a second year in a row. The Lady Cardinals held Griner to just 14 points on 4-of-10 shooting with some rather controversial defense. What looked like a bold shutdown of good looks and free play for Griner to some looked a lot like some rather rough play to many others. Baylor's head coach Kim Mulkey began her post game press conference informing the press about her feelings on how the game was called. "I thought the game started out way too physical, way too physical. I thought that all three of [the officials], if they go past this this round of officiating, it will be sad for the game." Mulkey went on to let the media know not to blame any of this loss on her players but instead on her. Baylor Alum and current Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III even went on a Twitter rant about Baylor and the physical play endured by Griner:
"Yes people Louisville hit the 3 ball all night. But for every 3 they made, they threw 6 elbows, 5 straight lefts, 4 right hooks....3 roundhouse kicks, 2 jumping knees, & 1 superman punch at B. Griner's abdominals. Aiming for her face but couldn't reach"
"Despite all the man jokes BG is not SHAQ! She is a 6'8 WOMAN! & the REFS! OH MY...NCAA may find a way to fine me if I bring them up"
  Despite the fact that she will go down as one of the best to play Women's college basketball, Griner took the lost very hard telling a reporter after the game that she felt "just sad, just disappointment." She added "I just didn't do what I needed to do to get my team to the Elite 8." I personally feel like some of the play was too much and a lot went without being called. There is a difference between solid defense including fighting for position and taking shots at the opponent that unfortunately go uncalled. I wouldn't say it was all dirty but I think there was a little too much relaxing of the whistle by the officials in this one. Either way though, a loss is a loss. No way to turn back but Brittney Griner should pick her head up and celebrate the outstanding career she had as she gets ready to "wow" more crowds on the next level: the WNBA.

Sources: ESPN

2 comments:

  1. Wow you did it again...enlighting the novice ladies to what's hot and happening in b-ball.
    We still earning cool points with the guys..we know our stuff thanks to you! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sad to see my gators get beat. However the fact that it was a complete blow out eased the blow. I also was sadden to see that injury of Kevin Ware. It was absolutely gruesome. I didn't get to watch the women's louisville Baylor game but I am sad that Brittany carrer is over. She was an exciting player to watch not just as a female player, an athlete in general. I wish her and Kevin the best of luck in there careers moving forward. GO GATORS...next year lol.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me any feedback you'd like. I'm open to constructive criticism, your opinions on the style of the post, what kinds of posts you want to see, anything you want me to give my opinion on and I'm definitely open for debates!