Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Women Wednesday: Finding Your Inner-Analyst

  From nearly the moment I became vocal about my love for sports, especially on social networks, I received mixed feedback. There were some guys that were receptive from the beginning and never showed signs of being a skeptic just because I wore 5 and a half inch heels to school almost everyday. Others were resistant to or dismissed my opinion just because I wasn't a tom boy or a boy period. There have even been times that I can recall having a perfectly valid point, backed with facts, and was still told I was wrong and had my view fall upon deaf ears because of a preconceived notion that I didn't know what I was talking about. Nonetheless I was taught about the game of basketball by the most important man in my life (my dad), and I wasn't going to let the discouragement of some overshadow that passion. So this week I want to give my ladies who either really want to know more about sports, have been discouraged from sharing their opinion about sports, or reluctant to inquire about sports a few tips on how I went about doing so.

Tip #1: Listen
  My dad began to teach my sister and I how to play basketball when I was 7 years old. He probably took us to our first NBA game when I was about 6 years old. Not only did we go to Miami Heat games, but he also took us to Miami Sol games (Miami's former WNBA team). From the time I was old enough to actually be aware of my surroundings while at a game I listened. I listened to the sounds of the game, the announcers, the fans, the players, and anything I could take in. You don't need to be at a game to be able to use this skill though ladies. As I got older, I began to watch more games at home on my own. I would say 65-70% of what I know today about basketball I learned from just watching games. If you really have the desire to learn more about basketball, or ANY sport, just turn on the game and listen! I can almost guarantee you if you watch and pay attention to 5 games of that sport you desire to learn more about you will learn at least 5 new things about the game, team, or player(s), by the end. When you are truly interested, hearing something new and intriguing simply becomes harder to forget.

Tip #2: Don't bite off too much
  It is always exciting to learn new stats, tricks, and rules about something you've always wanted to know about. However, it is not a good idea to make statements that are too bold that you can't back up. If you are trying to get your opinion to be more valued, it isn't a good look to tweet something like: "Mario Chalmers is the best point guard in the league" just because he had a 26 point night and you're a Miami Heat fan. If someone wants to debate you about an opinion you have and they bring in information you haven't heard about before, it is best to just let them know that you haven't heard that before or haven't done enough in-depth research so you cannot speak on that. Proceed to restate your original view and leave it at that. There isn't much that is more annoying to men, and women that love sports, than seeing another woman look like she's just trying to have a sports opinion for attention and on top of that making incorrect statements. When in doubt: count on Google. If you think the Heat played the Celtics in the NBA Finals two years ago when they lost but you aren't sure, Google it before you tweet it just to be safe. (If you read last week's Women Wednesday post you would know that that is impossible by the way)

Tip #3: Ask Questions
  Ladies, one great reason I decided to begin Women Wednesday's was so that you all would have simply explained background knowledge to engage in conversation with your man, best friend, dad, cousin, brother, etc. and further build upon what you'd learned. For example, I broke down the different basketball positions in the first two weeks. With that information, you all could then go watch a game with your boyfriend or male figure and have him to physically show you where each player is and then watch them execute the general tasks I'd described that they were responsible for. If you keep hearing a term in a sports game that you are having trouble drawing conclusions as to what it means ask questions. Don't be afraid to look silly. A man will appreciate a woman interested in and willing to learn about sports far more than one that pretends to already know it all and is incorrect. There are certain things you just cannot simply learn by listening and watching. I myself still ask my male friends questions about sports that I don't have as firm of a grasp on as I do professional basketball.

Tip #4: Stay True
  There is nothing wrong with a woman wanting to expand her sports knowledge and don't let any ignorant person profess the contrary. Still, it is most important to stay true to you. Learning more about sports doesn't mean you have to be an NFL coach or the next Lisa Salters. Don't try to be something you aren't. An interest in sports and a passion for it are two different things. You do not have to have passion for sports to show interest in learning and broaden your understanding of it.You don't have to engage in Twitter and Facebook debates to prove you know something. Always remain you.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Mario Chalmers example funny ah. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me any feedback you'd like. I'm open to constructive criticism, your opinions on the style of the post, what kinds of posts you want to see, anything you want me to give my opinion on and I'm definitely open for debates!