Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Don't Call It A Comeback!

  Hello lovely readers! I know that a lot has happened since the last time I posted from the NFL Draft, to Jason Collins coming out, the postseason ending injuries of Russell Westbrook and David Lee, as well as some NBA Playoff drama in the first round. I assure you all that this wasn't my intent and I really wish I could have gotten some posts out for you all. If you saw the video I attached the link to in the post prior to this one, I briefly explained what was going on. Unfortunately last week my grandfather did indeed pass away so just as school ended I had to be with my family and get through that tough time. Nonetheless, I'M BACK! I obviously cannot cover all of the ground I've missed but I cannot ignore the hype of the NBA Playoffs right now. At this point all Game 1's have been played. What forecasts do I see as the pressure rises in the Playoff Sea? Let's very briefly go through my predictions.

Western Conference

(2) San Antonio Spurs vs. (6) Golden State Warriors: As much of a Stephen Curry fan I am and despite the great deal of promise I see in this Golden State team, I am going to go with the Spurs in 6 games. When it comes down to it, Golden State's talent will make each game interesting but their youth and inexperience is what will cost them. The mistakes they made against Denver cannot be made against San Antonio and end in a series victory. If the Spurs continue to get their health back the way they have seemed to be doing, the Warriors will not be able to withstand this veteran and disciplined squad. In my opinion, Golden State is the latest, and arguably better, model of the old OKC before they boldly emerged (like the OKC of 2010-2011). They're extremely talented, young, athletic, confident, and have the makings of a future elite team in the West. But they have trouble closing out games which we saw last night in Game 1 against the Spurs as well as Game 6 against the Nuggets. The only difference is that Denver couldn't capitalize on the Warriors collapse, San Antonio did. If players like Klay Thompson, Steph Curry, and Jared Jack remain on this roster I expect to see them at this same level again next year, hopefully with more favorable odds. Let's not forget the impact having a healthy David Lee would have had on this series either. 

(1) Oklahoma City Thunder vs. (5) Memphis Grizzlies: Although OKC took Game 1, I have questions about how powerful they'll be able to be without Westbrook against a rough and tough team like Memphis. Zach Randolph, as Stan Verrett says time and time again, doesn't bluff. He is aggressive, skilled, and can easily stand out to make himself look like the man amongst boys. The homecourt advantage OKC gets from their electric crowd is powerful but I can easily see this one going to 6 or 7 in Memphis' favor. I have no doubt that Kevin Durant is great enough to lead his team to victory because he's one of the best in the league but my question is: Will he? Durant is used to delivering that 1-2 punch with Westbrook in tow. All of a sudden the load of pressure builds from not only getting back to the NBA Finals but doing so by virtually putting the team on his back and going through some very serious Western Conference competitors. Let's see how "Not Nice" KD can become. 

Eastern Conference

(1) Miami Heat vs. (5) Chicago Bulls: There is no doubt that the Bulls deserve credit for not only their performance last night in Game 1 but the entire season. They have been short-handed from day 1, constantly counted out, yet very frequently rise to the occasion and come out victorious. With that being said however, I still do not believe they have the will and strength the beat Miami in a 7-game series. If the Bulls first round series, the last playoff Game 1 Chicago and Miami played in 2011, or even last year's Game 1 of the NBA Finals should have taught us anything it should have been not to read too deeply into Game 1. Miami are the defending champs and had just come off of 7 days of rest, which clearly turned into a bit of rust. No excuses because they still could have gotten it done but LeBron wasn't even in double digits going into the 4th quarter. That's not typical. Expect adjustments on Wednesday night. Miami in 6 games.

(2) New York Knicks vs. (3) Indiana Pacers: In my opinion, neither one of these teams have enough 48 minute consistency for me to think that this series can't easily go to 7 games. This one kind of has me stumped but in the end I will take the Knicks in 6 or 7. I think they will adjust the mistakes they made in game 1 and Carmelo Anthony will come out more focused and efficient. He went for just 10-of-28 from the field in Game 1. He's made it out of the first round but now is not the time to get complacent. If Anthony wants to undoubtedly recognized as the superstar that many feel he is, he must prove what he can do when the pressure is on and his team, now that he has further matured as a player, is actually a contender. On the other hand, the world was put on notice last postseason that the Pacers are not a team that folds when they are supposed to be "afraid". The hype doesn't hinder them from stepping up to the challenge. Indiana is a just below .500 road team on the season but has an almost identical home record to New York at 30-11 (to the Knicks' 31-10). Being that they have already stole one on the road, they are too in good position to win the series. Though I'm calling it in favor of New York, this can be either team's series. 

  If there is anything you want me to post about regarding the playoffs, incidents around the Sports World, or major news I missed while I was gone, contact me on Twitter, Facebook or via e-mail. It feels good to be back! 

R.I.P Pop <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me any feedback you'd like. I'm open to constructive criticism, your opinions on the style of the post, what kinds of posts you want to see, anything you want me to give my opinion on and I'm definitely open for debates!